Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Things to Think About...Later

Authors Note: I was struggling to find a topic to write about, and my procrastination was getting the best of me therefore I wrote a piece on it, and how possibly we can grow from our old ways and learn to better ourselves. 
 
I have always been a very good procrastinator and I’m finally coming to the realization that it is starting to affect my life in many ways. We all face the temptations to do other things  than the significant amounts of work we have. It all comes in a different fashion whether it is facebook, shopping, talking to friends, etc. it consumes are life. we set aside our work with the idea of, “all I will do it later”. Not necessarily a great way to live life, because then it becomes later and later and we are cramming to finish something that isn’t to the best of our capability, and then at that point you don’t feel happy with yourself or your work. Procrastination comes with so many negative effects; guilt, stress, feelings of inadequacy, anxiety.

It seems so easy to say, “just get it done with”, but when it come down to it the distractions take over. Maybe it’s just me, but it is nearly impossible for me to just sit down and get something done all at once, because at some point I give in to the temptation and never get back on task. Now I am sure as you read this your thinking that I am contradicting myself since by writing this I am not procrastinating. Well to actually finish this piece it took me over three hours, but within those three hours i probably went through ten games of tetris, and a combined hour of facebook. Since this piece is not of great length it really shouldn’t have taking me that long, but the distractions begin to take over my life and keep me from completing work in a normal amount of time.

I wonder whether its procrastination that leads to lack of motivation, or lack of motivation that sets us in to a rut of procrastination. Both complement each other to some respect, but either way what good do we get from procrastination other than failure? Procrastinators sabotage themselves from success. We put obstacles in our paths that hurt us in the long run.

Is there a resolution to this problem, or is it forever a task that we must struggle to overcome, and prevent it from controlling our lives? I am slowly coming to realize that the by trying to overcome this I am learning to prioritize better. It is a slow transformation as I am sure many can relate with, but I also think that it will better prepare me for college and the real world. It is possible that procrastination isn’t such a horrible thing at a young age as long as you manage to prosper above it.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good piece. I know that this year I have developed the same habit that you have of being a procrastinator. I liked your paragraph where you were talking about how this piece took you about three hours because of all of the other things that you were doing because it really made me think about how much time is being wasted by how much procrastinating we as people do. Great job on this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to this piece. I also procrastinate quite a bit, and I know that I probably shouldn't, but it can be really hard when there are so many other things going on. I liked how you chose to write about something that just about everyone can relate to, and like Ally said I liked the paragraph when you talked about procrastinating while writing this piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! I am a poet, too! When I was young, I entered poetry contests, and they where judged by Margret Peterson Haddix!!! So cool...come check out my blog some time, plz!!!

    ReplyDelete